Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sedona, Arizona

My Sweetheart's Aunt Della was in Phoenix this weekend. She was visiting from Laredo, Texas. We took her to an Arizona Diamondback's baseball game on Saturday. It was her first visit to a baseball stadium! We had tickets to T.G.I.Friday's Front Row. We had dinner while we watched the game. Good times!


Since this was her her first trip to Arizona, we also decided to take her to Sedona. It was a nice escape from the 108 degree weather. In Sedona, it was a cool 86 degrees! It is so beautiful in Sedona. I have lived in Southern Arizona all my life and am used to desert landscape and extremely hot weather. Every time I visit Sedona, I'm in awe of the mild summer weather and the gorgeous scenery: the trees, the red sandstone formations, the creeks. It's absolutely breath taking.

The trip to Sedona from Phoenix is about 3 hours. As we approach Sedona, we start to see this:

Pine trees!


And these red/orange formations, found only in Sedona.
There are many hiking and biking trails. We went to the spot that My Sweetheart and I always visit. It's a 6 mile trail that has many stopping spots to explore and offers great photo opportunities. The first is this abandoned restaurant. A park ranger told us there was a man that wanted to open a restaurant at the base of this mountain but it burned down during construction. All that is left is:


The fire place...maybe to cook dinner?

Not sure what this was...perhaps the dining area?

This we were told was the wine cellar. A cave in the mountain.



The kitchen?



Then the walking trail starts. The smell of the trees is amazing.

Aunt Della, taking in the beautiful scenery:


We understand that when the water runs off this cliff, it creates an amazing waterfall.




There wasn't a lot of water in the creeks, but nonetheless, there was water!
I couldn't help but dip my toes in the water...it was cold!


My Sweetheart pulling fruit from the trees at Aunt Della's request:




The clouds coming in:



There's this cute bridge that took us over one of the creeks.


More storm clouds above the gorgeous trees:



I HEART the trees!!


One our way out, we stopped at a store that had the cutest stuff! It doesn't take much convincing to get My Sweetheart to pose:

Aunt Della and My Sweetheart

I loved these pumpkin pots. They have a lid so you can place a candle inside it. I had to have one! My Sweetheart, got one for me!




One our way out:










It started raining on our way home. It was nice to see rain since we seldom see it in Phoenix although I can do without driving on I-17 during a storm. Too many big trucks and crazy drivers! My Sweetheart did a great job of getting us home safe and sound.
Aunt Della had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment