Friday, November 8, 2013

Thanksgiving crafting projects

To say this is a busy time of the year for us is an understatement.  Football, birthdays, holidays, work --  it all has us SO busy. Still, I make time to decorate our home with seasonal decor.  It's fun, it's cozy and at this point, it's become tradition.   When I asked Sweetheart if he thought I should bother with it, he looked surprised and said "you always do it, it's tradition".  So there you have it.  

The day after Halloween, I had Sweetheart pull out my Thanksgiving bins so that I could start putting out the fall/Thanksgiving stuff.  I spent last weekend working on a couple of quick projects and putting out most of the decor. 

One of the projects that I seem to be addicted to these days is wrapping yarn around white candles.  I tried it with the Halloween decor here.   I found the inspiration on Pinterest here.  It was super easy to do and the candles really do look great.  And the best part about it is that I can repurpose candles; I don't have to buy different color candles every time I want a change.   

For my Thanksgiving decor, I used a mustard colored yarn for the candles on the entrance way table:




And I used a burnt orange color for the candles on my pretend mantle:


I think they look great!

My other project was painting these acorns I bought at Target in January.  I found them on a clearance shelf.  I frequest the clearance shelves at the Target by my house and the one by where I work.  I always find the greatest things on clearance!  These acorns were regularly priced at $24.99 and I bought them for $1.99.   They sat in my craft room for nine months -- as most of my clearance items do -- until this past weekend when I was able to pull them out.  

I used a yellow mustard color (that I tend to be very much in love with at the time) and a brown color:


And this is the outcome:



I intended to post pictures of Thanksgiving tonight, however, I have another project in the works that interfered with my picture taking. We are expecting guests over the Christmas holiday so I'm painting the hallways to freshen them up and my painters tape and the ladder happened to make their way into nearly every picture I took! 

Maybe tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment