Monday, March 4, 2013

Recycled Canister Project

Check out these cute jars that I converted to canisters simply by stripping off the label and adding a chalkboard label.  I would think this has been done many times over, but it was a new idea to me:

Cute, huh?


 I always have wasabi peas, chocolate chips and banana chips on hand; I buy them in the bulk/bin section at Sprouts.  I make trail-mix packs for me and Sweetheart to snack on so I always get plain almonds, walnuts and dried cranberries too.  The Wasabi peas and the Banana chips are what Sweetheart likes to snack on when he's at home so I thought I would make it easy for him to access (and I figured it would also keep him out of the pantry).  

So here's where my jars come from:

I was at Costco one day and spotted "Famous Dave's signature spicy pickle chips".  Delicous, ever try them?  Anyway, I bought two 64 oz. jars (I know, that's a lot of pickles -- but Sweetheart didn't a problem going through the jars in a very short amount of time):


When the jars were empty, I thought they would make cute canisters.  So I put them through the dishwasher and the labels came off easily.  I added a chalkboard label and just like that, I had a cute canister to fill with goodies!

After that, I thought I would like a jar for my chocolate chips but I didn't need a jar quite that big.  So, I waited for Sweetheart to finish the olives from the olives jars we bought from the Queen Creek Olive mill.  Remember these from this post?



I have to give props to Sweetheart for this one.  The labels on these guys were so hard to remove I had to soak them in water, and use 1/4 of a bottle of Goo Gone and I still couldn't get the label completely off.  Sweetheart saw me struggling with it and grabbed a blade and scraped all the remaining label off for me.  That jar was perfect for my chocolate chips:




I realize I could have embellished the jars a bit more by adding some jute string to the lid or tying a jute bow around the jar.  But, I like a more simple look and the black lids were solid in color with no writing on them at all so there wasn't a need to do anything to them.

I think they look pretty cute.  Now, we all have easy access to our snacks!


Ignore the cork board in the background.  That's a project on my "to-do" list.  I plan on putting the cork board in a chunky frame to spruce it up.  But of course, I am looking for a frugal way of doing that...

No comments:

Post a Comment