Monday, June 14, 2010

San Xavier Mission: our promise

My sister, my nephew and I walked to San Xavier Mission last Saturday. Our walk was part of a “manda” or a promise. We walked from her house to San Xavier Mission as part of that promise. It’s sort of like a pilgrimage. We made a promise to walk so that San Francisco (St. Frances) could help heal my father’s wounds. As I type this, it sounds a bit odd. But, I grew up taking part in the promises or manda’s that my parents would make to San Fransisco so it seems natural for me to follow in their footsteps. When my sister suggested we walk to San Xavier Mission for my father, I did not think twice – I was ready to go!

I left Phoenix at 4:30 a.m. so that I could be there before the hot sun starting beating down on us. We were blessed with a day that was breezy; the temperatures had dropped last weekend to a high was 98, I believe. But we armed ourselves with water and sunscreen and I had my umbrella. We started our walk at 7:00 a.m. We arrived at right around 10:00 a.m. As we walk up to the mission, this is what we see:



It has the most amazing ornately decorated facade. You have to see it in person to really take in how truly breath taking it is. Formally: Mission San Xavier del Bac. Known also as the "White Dove of the Desert". It is a Spanish Catholic mission located in southwest Tucson, Arizona on the Tohono O'odham San Xavier Indian Reservation. The mission was founded in 1699 by a Jesuit missionary, Father Kino. The Mission is old and so very beautiful.

The inside is equally as impressive. The picture that I took with my phone just does not do it justice. I didn't want to snap pictures while people were praying so I used my camera phone and took a quick picture of the altar. It's old and worn and although it's been renovated many times, it still shows it's age. But it's beautiful nonetheless.



Once inside, we lit our candles and prayed to San Fransisco. We believe he will answer our prayers. When he does, my father, my sisters and my mother will walk together to thank him for answering our prayers.

Please pray for my father.

1 comment: