Monday, April 11, 2016

I am Grateful for: My Job

This started as a "work from home" post but it quickly turned into my weekly "I am grateful for" post.   I have worked for Laureate Education for eight years now.   It's a great place to work and I am very happy there.    I work as an Enrollment Advisor for the Doctoral programs in the College of Health Sciences and the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.   It's a challenging job but very rewarding as well.   I truly love my job and I know that sometimes that's not always the case with some people.  Sometimes a job is just a job.  For me, it's my passion.   I was recently given a promotion and I feel so very grateful for that.    It's a great work environment with great benefits and a great leadership team. 

A few weeks ago I was given an opportunity to work from home two days a week.  I was totally onboard with that when it was presented.   I read a stat the other day that indicated that one in five Americans work from home at least one day a week.   Something like 3.2 million Americans.   And now I am one of them!  I feel so green! 

I am currently on week three of this new schedule and I have to say I'm loving it.    It really does boost productivity; there's less interruptions involving co-workers and office chatter.   I love that I don't have to wear makeup or do my hair on those work from home days.   I love that I can wear my PJ's to work on those days.    I love that I don't have to battle traffic on the 202 on those days.   It really is ideal.  

I always thought that working from home would be so glam.  I pictured this:

 

Nice and neat and in control.

In fact, I find it's the opposite.   I decided to use our office as my work from home space.  There's a TV in the guest room (pictured above) and I didn't want to be enticed into turning that thing on.   So I set myself up in the office.   This is the reality of what my work from home looks like:



It's not glam at all.   I have my work laptop sitting on a box so that it's up high.  I have a mouse and a keyboard and a headset plugged into it.  I have my iMac on too so I can listen to music and have google at the ready.     If I was full time work from home I would definitely put more effort into creating a glam space.  But for now, it works for me.  


 


Yep, the room is currently the catch all room too.  I'm quite sure you noticed the mess in the background.  If you didn't before I'm sure that made you look.   We're prepping for a possible move so we are painting and consolidating and everything that gets moved out of one room ends up in here until we decide what we are doing with it.   Totally glam, huh?

While I love the work from home, I am also happy to work in the office.  I love to dress up and see my co-workers and be part of the office environment as much as I love the work from home.   So very grateful for the opportunity to have those options and to work for such a great company!




No comments:

Post a Comment